Monday 22 August 2011

Where it all began....

So here is my blog about building my dream car. I have copied most of the info from a US Mustang forum I have been posting on for years. Please ignore time references and some of the more Mustang specific stuff if its not your bag. 

I decided I wanted a Vintage Mustang 4-5 years ago so I went about researching it, I liked the 67-68 fastback but couldn't believe the price of these old rusted out cars. Mind you, it was a the peak of the Unique performance/Eleanor craze....I had no problem finding a car but finding someone that would hold a car for me for 6-8 weeks until I got over to the US even with 8-10 other people knocking on their door with cash. So I eventually found a car in NC with a small garage called Piedmont Mustang. It was a 67 FB in need of a moderate amount of metal work. A friend (Duane) went and checked it out for me, sent me pictures, it looked good and I took the plunge...I agreed with this guy that he would do all the metal work, media blast it and get it rolling on new suspension ready for shipping. I paid him for most of the parts and 50% of the labour up front, unfortunately the guy decided to expand his operration half way through my build....he wasn't able to manage the additional staff/costs and went bust...he stopped answering his phone and I thought I had lost everything but with the help Duane I managed to salvage my parts and my car from his place and get everything into a container heading across the Atlantic. So I was left with a half baked metal job and a project with a lot of parts missing and not to mention I lost $6k and took a huge dent in my motivation for the project but I had to move on. Thankfully I am making progress and the project is back on track.

A few thing I have learnt/realised so far when it comes to building one of these cars.
Budgets and mustangs(especially E-cars) are two words that should never be used in the same sentence
Dead lines, see above
Chrome parts have a magical power over me. Even when I cant afford to buy them I do.
Building a vintage American muscle car in Ireland is a PITA. No garages, parts suppliers, help etc
Whenever people ask when is she going to be ready I just say don't worry I'll take you for a ride when its finished
Don't rush into things! I have made a few costly mistakes already. (I have a 9" rear and 2 x 4 spd top loaders that are of little use to me)

So here is the story so far!!!

This is her as I bought her.

Flintstone car!!
Arriving here in Ireland, a very happy day



Time to unpack!



7 litre V8, 450hpp


FG mock up, i had no idea the work it would take!!!



On the Rotisserie I built


Back off the rotisserie for front metal work

Last weekend removing the old shock towers, radiator support and cross member. I found some nasty rust on the passenger side cross member. Glad now I decided to replace it.






All the old metal gone ready to start welding back on.


I am now waiting for a big shipment of parts to come in. NPD,  Rod and customs and  Scott drake all love me now. I have them all shipped to PA where we have container coming over every few months with work stuff. It saves me a huge amount on shipping but I pay heavily with time!!! They are leaving PA in a container and should be with me in 5-6 weeks.

Amongst all the parts I have ordered the following sheet metal which should keep me busy for a while.
Front Mustang II Cross Member
2 x rear quarter panel patches.
2 x Trunk corners
Radiator support with new cross member attached
Rear quarter panel bracket.
Passenger side toe pan patch
Passenger side Torque box
Apron assembly

So once I get all this new metal on there I can start treating the underside of the car and look at FG fitment.



More to follow....

No comments:

Post a Comment