Tuesday 23 August 2011

The Start of the Bodywork

It's been a while since i updated my thread....I have been so so busy with work and the car. As you will see in the pics i've made a little progress.

I have had two hungarian guys working on my car. One of them specializes in Fiberglass and the other one does panel beating. I must say that i am very impressed with their work. They avoid using bondo/filler where possible and do not cut corners. They come and work in my shop so i can keep control of everything. They work evenings and weekends which allows me to get anything machincal done during the days before they arrive in the evening.


I borrowed a 10 tonne press from a friend and did a full rebuild on the rear end. I fabbed a temp holding bracket which my mounted onto my work bench.
Stripped down, degreased and power washed.





Pressing on the new bearings onto the pinion gear.


It worked out pretty good. i bought the rebuild DVD from Bad Shoe Productions and found it very clear and straight forward. She is now a fresh 3.50 with a detriot locker.



Next i got the car down off the rotisserie and a friend shot some matt black on the front clip so i could get the front suspension in.



I also shot two coats of Lizard Skin on the front wheel arches and was delighted how they turned out. I might shoot one final coat.

The Hungarian guys arrived then and got started on the rear FG.
I decided to ditch the FG trunk and bought a steel one and Mustangs to fear bolt on spoiler. A much better option.

Super Mario


Rear Lights mocked up





I am using the 3M 8115 panel adehive and its great material to work with.
Rear Spoiler Install
Next i had to the drivetrain in to try and replicate the weight and body postition of the finished car. i put about 150kg in the trunk to weight it down.




She is sitting very high without any weight.


After 3 hours and a call to Dave Sanborn I soon learned that a 428 will not go into an engine bay with Rod and Cutoms suspension, canton oil pan and a lakewood bellhousing...So the transmission and bellhousing came off and will be fitted from under the car.



The panel alligment was bad in places. here he had to build up the gap with weld and then reshape.




I decided to blank the Quarter panel lower trim panels but this created the potential problem of an air trap so i decided to make a vent into the rear wheel arch.




Upper and lower scoop installed
I was unhappy with the FG wings, they are flimsy and do not fit very well so i decided to use the original metal ones and bond the FG arches onto them.
 


And after cutting out the arch we discovered that the FG was very thin so Bela added another layer to strengten it up





I wasn't happy with the finish on the inside of the hood so the guys are sorting that out. They are using some sort of 2 pack heavy grade marine coating which will smooth out like gel coat.




After one coat, the next coat goes on tonight and then sanding.




How she sits now.....






No comments:

Post a Comment